The National Health Insurance Fund: NHIF Tanzania is the government body involved in the provision of medical insurance by covering its members.The National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a Social Health Insurance Institution established under the National Health Insurance Act, Cap 395 with the main objective of ensuring accessibility of health care services to people.
NHIF Tanzania operates under the Ministry of Health Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MHCDGEC). The management of the Fund is vested to the Board of Directors while its day to day operations are overseen by the Director General of NHIF Tanzania.
1. Functions of NHIF Tanzania
- Register members and issue identity cards;
- Collect contributions;
- Certify health service providers for provision of health care services to members;
- Reimbursement of health service providers’ claims;
- Invest the excess funds collected in order to earn income;
- Carry out Actuarial Assessment and Valuation; and
- Provide health insurance education to the public.
2. How NHIF Tanzania Raise Funds
NHIF Tanzania collect funds from compulsory contributions from employees in the public sector who are obliged to register themselves and contribute to the Fund a total of six percent (6%) of their monthly basic salary which is equally shared between the employer and employee. However, the Fund has put in place separate contribution arrangements for other groups that join the Fund voluntarily.
3. Members of NHIF Tanzania
Members of the Fund are categorized as follows:
- Public Employees
- Non Public Employees
- Retired Public Employees
- Children under 18 years
- Farmers in Cooperative Societies
- Members of Organized Socioeconomic Groups e.g. Machingas, Bodaboda, Drivers, etc.
- Individual members under Health Insurance Bundles
- Bunge Health Insurance Scheme for Members of Parliament
4. Certified Health Facilities Coverage
The Fund undertakes certifications of facilities that are fully registered by the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children to provide services to beneficiaries. These health facilities are divided into three groups namely Government, Faith based organization and Privately owned health facilities. Currently the Fund has certified more than 7,900 health facilities with different levels of accreditation to serve the Fund’s beneficiaries. These categories are:-
- National Referral,
- Zonal Referral,
- Regional Referral,
- District Hospitals,
- Diagnostic Centers
- Specialized Clinics,
- Health Centers,
- Pharmacies, and
- Accredited Drugs Dispensing Outlets.
5. NHIF Tanzania Coverage
The NHIF provides a wide coverage towards medical expenses. The coverage includes:
- Inpatient cover
- Outpatient cover
- Group life cover
- Last expense cover
- Ex-Gratia Payments
- Maternity and reproductive cover
6. NHIF Tanzania Price List 2021?
The recently launched NHIF Tanzania new packages have made it easy for all Tanzanians to join the NHIF, especially those who were unable to access health services due to their limited financial possibilities.
Through a wide network of accredited health facilities, NHIF Tanzania dedicates itself to provide quality social health insurance to all Tanzanians to access affordable health care services. The packages launched are;
- Najali Afya Premium
- Wekeza Afya Premium
- Timiza Afya Premium
The recently launched NHIF Tanzania price list 2019 shows the amount of money you should contribute to NHIF Tanzania for the services. Below is a table that shows the NHIF Tanzania cost payable yearly.
However, a contributor who has more than 4 children under 18 years depending on him or her can apply for the Toto Afya card and pay a yearly fee of Tsh. 50,400 per child.
KIKOA is a health insurance scheme for groups in the informal sector who have registered special groups of entrepreneurs like motorcycle and food vendors with members not less than 10.
As per the NHIF regulations, a KIKOA member can add his/ her spouse and 4 legally recognized dependants and contribute Tsh. 76,800 yearly. Membership expires after a year unless renewed.
A private individual can also join the scheme and register dependants as per the guidelines of NHIF and contribute an annual fee of Tsh. 1,501,200.
Ushirika Afya member pays Tsh. 76,800 annually. Although one has an option to add their spouse, parent, and parent of spouse, you will pay an extra Tsh. 76,800 for each person added and Tsh. 50,400 for every child under 18 years.
Students registered under learning institutions will pay Tsh. 50,400 annually up to their graduation year.
7. NHIF Tanzania Membership
- Toto Afya Card
- Public Institutions
- Vifurushi vya Bima ya Afya
- Non Public Institutions
- Umoja Afya
- Ushirika Afya
- Boda boda Afya
- Machinga Afya
- Madereva Afya
8. How to Apply for NHIF Tanzania Membership
The scheme covers Tanzanians of all ages regardless of where they work. It can be for the government, the private sector or self-employed. The NHIF Tanzania membership registration form can be found on their official website.
To join, download the NHIF Tanzania forms provided below and fill them before presenting them at any NHIF office for approval.
- Membership registration form
- Student registration form
- Toto Afya Kadi registration form
- Employer registration form
- Mutual member registration form
- Private individual registration form
- Mutual group registration form
- Retiree registration form
- Ushirika Afya form
Although all the above forms can be downloaded, filled and presented to any NHIF office, online registration is available for students only.
The online registration is meant for students from higher learning institutions that are accredited by the fund to apply for the NHIF card online without having to visit an NHIF office.
Access the NHIF Tanzania portal, register online, and follow the instructions to fill the form.
Documents You Need to Register as an NHIF Tanzania Member
- Identification card; either a driving licence, passport, voter’s card or national ID.
- Recent coloured photo passport
- For religious denominations wishing to register with NHIF should submit a registration request letter to any NHIF office nearby.
- For children under the age of 18 years, a birth certificate will be needed.
- Learning institutions wishing to register their students must apply and be registered to the Fund as an employer.
- Mutual groups wishing to register to NHIF should accompany their application forms with their registration certificate, Constitution, list of all members and TIN Number Certificate.
- To register a spouse as a dependant you must include an identification card and marriage certificate.
- To register a parent as a dependant you must include an identification card for the parent and the contributor’s birth certificate.
- To register a spouse’s parent as a dependant you must include an identification card for the spouse’s parent, birth certificate of the spouse and the contributor’s marriage certificate.
or you can make Online Application by visiting this page
9. What services does NHIF Tanzania cover?
NHIF has attractive services that it offers to its beneficiaries through accredited health facilities countrywide.
Beneficiaries are offered these services as per standard treatment guidelines issued by the fund’s regulations alongside the Ministry of Health. The services include;
- Eye and optical services
- Medicines and medical supplies
- Surgical services
- Inpatient care services including ICU and HDU
- Retirees health benefits
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation services
- Medical or orthopaedic appliances
- Dental and oral health services
There are services that have conditions for special approval that require a beneficiary to present a special permit before he or she can enjoy the NHIF benefit cover.
The services that require a special permit include;
- Cancer chemotherapy for cancer patients
- Medical and orthopaedic appliances
- Complex Implants
- Radiotherapy service
- Immuno-suppressant medicines for patients, who have organ transplants
- Reading glasses
- Special radiological imaging such as CT scan and MRI
- Haemodialysis and erythropoietin for patients with renal failure
- EMG needle
- Advanced cardiac services
- Some selected medicines
- Orthodontic services
The special approval can be accessed on their website’s conditions for special approval page for more guidance.
10. NHIF Tanzania Contact Address
- +255 26 2963887/8/+255 26 2963888
- 0800110063 – Inapatikana saa 24 siku 7 za wiki
- National Health Insurance Fund,
- Head Office,
- Tambukareli Street, Jakaya Kikwete Road,
- P.O.Box 1437,